History of Olmsted Falls

The City of Olmsted Falls is a picturesque and historic suburban community. The area was first settled in 1814 and was first known as Kingston, then Lenox. In 1829, the community agreed to name itself after Charles Olmstead in exchange for his library, said to be the first west of the Alleghenies. In the course of time the "A" was dropped from the name and this area was known as Olmsted Township. A gristmill and sawmill were built at the falls of the west branch of the Rocky River in the 1820's and a settlement soon formed. A town named Norris Falls was created at the center of the township in 1843, but in 1845 was renamed Olmsted Falls.
The small settlement benefited from construction of the Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati Railroad through here in 1849 and was incorporated as a village eight years later. Many historic structures survive from this period of growth and development just prior to the Civil War. Growth of the community slowed in the late nineteenth century and did not pick up again until after World War II, when suburban growth and highway development made the community more accessible to greater Cleveland. The Village of Olmsted merged with the Village of Westview in 1971 and became the City of Olmsted Falls in 1972. A Charter was written soon thereafter describing the nature and form of government.

City Hall is located at 26100 Bagley Road, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138
and can be reached via phone at

440-235-5550.

Some Local Links:
Olmsted Falls Schools
Airport Committee
Olmsted Community Center Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District
Rural Lorain Country Water Authority Board of Elections
Ohio House of Representatives Congress
U.S. Senate The 123rd Ohio General Assembly
Olmsted Community Church Missing Kids
Southwest General Health Center Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council
Green Mountain Energy Company Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
Olmsted Chamber of Commerce  
Local Interest Phone Numbers:
Olmsted Falls Library 440-235-1150
Olmsted Falls Post Office 440-235-1838
Board of Education 440-427-6000
Chestnut Grove Cemetery 440-235-1400